Call for Submissions
2020 Online Arts Festival Call for Submissions
The Red Deer Arts Council is excited to announce the first ever Online Arts Festival to celebrate visual, literary and performing arts in Red Deer and Central Alberta! We are calling on artists of all kinds in Red Deer and Central Alberta to submit performance videos and images of 2D, 3D and written works tofor sharing with the wider community! This call is open to artists of all ages and all genres. Whether you're an actor, a dancer, a musician, a writer, a potter, a painter or a photographer, we invite you to share your creativity with us! The only restriction is that we ask that YOU have created the work! We are also inviting artists to create tutorial videos (approximately 10-20- minutes) demonstrating a specific element of your artistry to be shared as well!
Your work will be shared on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and on a specific page on our website! Video submissions might include: a drawing or painting lesson, a dance number (please credit the musical artist for the audio,) a scene or monologue from a play, a song or a reading from a piece of your written material. Images might include: a photo of your painting, drawing, photograph or sculptural work, an image of your written page. Images will be credited to the artist with a label card overlaid on the image to help protect your copyright. Videos and images will be credited in post descriptions/commentary and any artist statements submitted will be likewise shared. If another’s work is used as your dance music, please credit the performer/artist and/or composer.
The Fine Print: The Red Deer Arts Council, a Not-For-Profit Charity that receives public and private funding, will jury all submissions received for the appropriateness (in a public all-ages sphere) and for the quality of the content and reserve the right to curate all works that are shared by our professional arts service organization. We are able to pay artists for allowing us to 'unveil' their works online through a publicly funded grant.
We ask that works not have been displayed in the Red Deer Arts Council's Kiwanis Gallery during a prior exhibition or be previously shared online in the year 2020. Every effort will be made to protect intellectual property of the artists while being shared online. No fan art, please.
Submission Details and Criteria:
- This Juried Online Festival exhibition is an open call to all Visual, Literary and Performing artists in Red Deer and Central Alberta.
- Digital image files for visual art works must be titled according to the completed Application & Declaration Form (attached) and labeled with the Title of the Work, Media, Date, Value for sale (if available for purchase, we are happy to note that), and the Name of the Artist;
- Video files should be named with the piece being performed/read. Works performed should be original works or have received permission from the identified creator; if another’s music is used for dance pieces, please note credit for the performer and songwriters. Facebook Live or similar is not workable
- Video Tutorials should be approximately 10-20 minutes and should be edited and ready to post prior to submission.
- Works should not have previously been exhibited in the Kiwanis Gallery, nor shared elsewhere online or on social media in 2019 or 2020. Works need not be new, but we ask that they were shared online in 2018 or earlier only. If a musical audio track is available for sale online, you may still submit a video performance of that song.
- Jurors will remain anonymous and will judge content on acceptability in a public all-ages forum as well as for quality. There is a special jury for youth entries (up to age 15, inclusive.) Age 16 and up is considered an adult submission.
- Submission may be sent electronically with digital file attachments or for large size files, a link to a functioning downloadable file is acceptable. "We Transfer" is a useful app to send large files without creating an account.
- $50 for the 1st piece, $25 for subsequent pieces to a max of $100 per artist across all genres.
- Kids’ work (up to age 15, inclusive) will receive $25 for one item in gift card format (from a select list.)
- For video tutorials, $50 per video tutorial (approx. 10-20 minutes), $25 for subsequent entries to a maximum payment of $100 per artist.
In your emailed submission, please include:
- Your complete, signed (digital signatures accepted) Application & Declaration Form
- Your images in .JPG or .PNG format and videos in .MOV or .MP4 file types (or similar, be sure it functions and is accessible.) Please name your file with the work title, corresponding to the attached form. You may also mail a USB key with your files to 110-4818 50 Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 4A3.
- Your Artist Statement referring to the works (what inspired you), if applicable. (Not required for kids' submissions.)
- A short Biography detailing your experience (approximately 2-3 sentences.) (Not required for kids' submissions, but please note age.)
- A list of your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram handles or website addresses so you can be tagged in the post.
Submissions will be received on an ongoing basis until July 25, 2020 but the first set of submissions and posts will end May 31st, 2020. Incomplete submissions will be returned.
The submission form can be downloaded at the above link and looks like this: